Sunday, 20 January 2013

Our American Christmas Trip Part Three

Boxing day dawned to much excitement as it had begun to snow in Bethesda. Sammy and I were running around like chickens without heads taking pictures and posting them on Facebook and repeatedly telling our rather bemused American family it was snowing, in case they hadn't looked out of the window and seen it for themselves! The plan for Boxing day was to travel from DC to an area of West Virginia known as the Canaan Valley, where Roland had rented a chalet for us to spend a few days in the mountains. Looking at the weather it was obvious we were a little bit under prepared for what lay ahead, so Lee ran me down to the local version of Sports Direct (SA family think Sportsmans Warehouse) known as REI. We needed snow boots for me, and snow trousers for both of us, as we already had ski jackets and enough warm gloves, beanies and scarves to keep a small army warm. I have come to regard all shopping trips for clothing for me as exercises in frustration. I am still to find the 6ft 7in tall guy who has a size 28 waist!! However this logic was blown out of the water when I walked into REI. First up boots. Those who have travelled to the US will know that Americans don't do small. There must have been 200 pairs of snow boots to choose from. I chose a nice pair of black Salomon boots, and asked the salesman apologetically if he had a UK size 13 in them. Fully expecting a slight smirk and a no, I looked confused when he said, "Sure no problem, do you want them in narrow, regular or wide?" He must have thought me an idiot for a second, as I stammered like a 6 year old on too much candy, before my brain registered he had said yes, and asked for wide. Boots out tried them on and hey presto, they were perfect. Even getting snow trousers was a cinch, albeit a bit pricey. The ladies section was for high flying earners only though, so we bought Sammy her snow trousers in Davis West Virginia on the way there.

So kitted up to the nines, we packed both cars. In Roland's car we took the bags, suitcases and jackets, and most importantly Chance the Jack Russell in his big cage and blanket. In Lee's car we took all the important stuff like red wine, white wine, single malt Scotch Whiskey and snacks. Oh and some food for the three days too. By the time we had finished packing the cars it was snowing heavily and already past midday. Expecting a travelling time of three and half hours, we set off with our spirits high into the oncoming blizzard. And that's just what it was. I won't bore you with the details, but we spent a lot of time going sideways, wondering were the road was and creeping along in traffic jams created by heavy vehicles jackknifing on the mountain passes. It was epic! The journey took us six and a half hours but we eventually made it to our destination in a resort called Timberline. The chalet turned out to be a huge four bedroom home nestled on the hillside in amongst the trees, private and warm and excellent. Roland made a good fire, Sam and Lee dinner and we had a great evening chilling out. Greeted by three feet of snow the next morning we headed off to Timberline to ski. Sam had never skied before and had some lessons, I took a refresher as did Roland and Morgan. I was super proud of Sammy, by the end of the second day she was the bunny slope queen. The first day of skiing was very cold, around -7 at the bottom and a biting -12 at the top with lots of wind and cloud. The second day was brilliant, -2 and clear skies, that at times made for sweaty work on the steeper slopes. We passed the evenings by with log fires, good wine and the great company of our family and had a brilliant time. By the time we had to leave for DC again the roads had been cleared up a bit and the journey home only took three hours and ten minutes! Our last evening with Lee and Roland was both wonderful and bittersweet as we knew we had to say goodbye and head off to New York to see Michael, but that is a story for the final instalment of the blog coming this week! Enjoy the photo's as usual!

Boxing Day morning and much excitement in the house as it is snowing!
The epic journey to West Virginia begins, and of course the Americans drive on the wrong side of the road.....


Morgan chilling out in the back seat. Chance the dog is behind him in his cage, reading the latest copy of Hound & Home.
Roland concentrating fiercely, much to my amusement.
Until I drove the Subaru later into the trip for a few hours into the dark and mountain passes. Note the concentration!

Sammy playing the in the snow whilst we sign into the resort.
Hopping, skippin and a jumpin, I was a bit slow to turn on the video camera.

Inside the chalet, with a great big fire place, which was awesome, for effect anyway as the chalet is centrally heated.
This is what the chalet looks like in the morning light! Not too shabby!! Note the hot tub outside. Shaun challenged me to do a Polar Bear challenge which involves rolling in the snow straight out of the hot tub. I did not accept the challenge!
Our accommodation!
Looking back into the lounge and dining room, everyone gets settled in for the evening.
Beer in hand, happy boy.
Sam and Lee preparing the all important snacks in the kitchen.
Chilling out after a hard day of skiing. Perfect.
Tiring work, eating and drinking, we were in bed early every night.
The Subaru covered in a coat of snow.
Fancy camera shot of the snow and ice crystals on a leaf. Not bad for a click and point camera.
Sammy getting her ski hire done, with the slightly bemused "what the hell am I doing this for" face. As it turns out, she enjoyed it very much.
Morgan ready to go with his snowboard, waiting patiently for the adults.
First day on a ski lift with my instructor.
My instructor Kim, same name as my Dad but not as cool! Although he was a good guy and got me up on the double blacks pretty quickly.
In the very very freezing cold at the top of the run known as the drop. My smile is actually me frozen in terror, although I made it down ok and did the run several times over the two days.
Sammy one hour into her Skiing career, rocking the bunny slopes and I am super proud of her.
You didn't think I would miss lunch did you!? Of course not, and it was a great Reuben sandwich and fries with calorific cheese sauce, perfect for skiing.
Self portrait in the afternoon going up to one of the big runs. Brett Thomas a mate from SA sent me a text asking where I parked my biplane. Touche Mr Thomas, I had no comeback. Chirp of the year so far, and probably of the decade!
More slope action from the ski lift.
My star skier notices the paparazzi and approaches with caution.
Good snow plow stance with hands forward of the body. 10/10 Sammy.
Looking down towards the end of the runs leading into the resort.
Lee came skiing with us on the second day and skied with Sammy. They had a few adventures, but I am sworn to secrecy.
Great pic of us!
Top of the steep runs minus the blizzard conditions from the day before.
Excellent view away from the Appalachian mountains towards Virginia and beyond.
A few moody ski slope type shots.
My favourite pic of the resort with the sun cutting through the trees.
Morgan and Roland and I skied a few runs together. Morgan looking bemused as always at the number of pictures I take.
The day we returned to DC we decided to build a snowman.
Here he is. His name is Flakey and he has probably moved on by now. Especially since we removed his beanie before we left!
Sammy, Flakey, me and Lee!
Interesting scenery on the way back to DC.
 That's it folks. Much love as always, until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment